Your Pension

We have a dedicated Pensions team that supports and maintains on-line records on the NHS Pension Scheme however for the NEST Pension Scheme and Scottish Widows please go to the uesful links heading on this web site. We also deal with estimates, refunds, added benefits, retirement benefits and employee queries.

Did you know that belonging to the NHS Pension scheme not only provides you with a tax free pension savings for your retirement but also provides life assurance and family benefits cover?

If you want to know more or you have any other questions then please view the frequently asked questions on this page which may answer your queries.

It is very important that NHS Pension Scheme members keep their address details up to date; more so at present as pension events such as Annual Allowance require us to correspond directly with members on a more frequent basis. If you have changed address or think that the details we hold for you are incorrect then please let NHS Pensions know or tell your employer.


For any further information please visit the NHS Pensions website: 


Frequently asked questions:


I want to retire - what do I do?

Contact your Pensions Officer for your organisation, which can be found on the 'Your Trust' pages, ideally between five and six months before you want to retire.

How do I apply for ill-health retirement?

Contact your Pensions Officer for your organisation, which can be found on the 'Your Trust' pages.

More information about ill-health retirement can be found at  the NHS Pensions Website at

I want to opt-out of the NHS pension scheme. What do I do?

The 2013/14 Opt Out Calculator is available on the NHS Pensions website to help members who have expressed a desire to leave the NHS Pension Scheme make a decision.

If the member decides to opt-out they are required to complete form SD502 and sign a declaration confirming that they understand what they are giving up. Copies of form SD502 can be downloaded from the NHS Pensions website:

Complete form SD502 and send it to Kent and Medway NHS Payroll Services (KMPS). 

Can I have a refund?

A refund of pension contributions can only be actioned if you have less than two years pensionable service. If this is the case please download, complete and forward form RF12 to KMPS

Please note refunds can take up to 4 months to be paid.

I have another pension - can I transfer that to the NHS Pension scheme?

It is possible to transfer from another pension scheme to the NHS within 12 months of joining the NHS. You can download a Transfer Pack from the NHS Pension website.

I require a cash equivalent transfer value (CETV) for divorce - how do I obtain this information?

Please download forms PD1 and PD2 and forward to KMPS once you have completed the details on the PD1 form.

All forms can be found at:

What happens if I die in service?

There is a lump sum due of twice your annual salary payable to your spouse civil partner or nominee. Plus there could be a survivor pension and child benefits due. For more information please download the fact sheets from the NHS Pensions website.

How do I make a pension nomination?

Please download and complete the appropriate form and forward to NHS Pensions. The address is contained on the forms.  

DB1 - Death Benefit Nomination for membership that ended before 1 April 2008

DB2 - Death Benefit Nomination for membership that started or continued from 1st April 2008

PN1 - Non Registed civil partner/married partner nomination

NOM1 - Cancelling an existing Nomination

Can I make an additional payment to my NHS Pension?

Yes. More information can be found on the NHS Pensions Website.

How can I protect my pay for pension purposes?

Please complete form SM R9 which can be downloaded from the NHS Pension website

If you have a query on Annual Allowance or Lifetime Allowance

Please refer to the NHS Pension Website

or to your own independent financial adviser as we cannot give advice or information on this subject

How much will I contribute to my pension?

More information can be found on the NHS Pensions Website at

Can I calculate my own pension?

More information can be found on the NHS Pensions Website

Can I draw down my NHS Pension without retiring?

No if a member of the 1995 section of the NHS Pensions scheme

Yes if a member of the 2008 or 2015 section of the NHS Pension scheme. More information can be found on the NHS Pension website

What entitlements are available for bank workers if they die?

Bank workers who are available for work by virtue of being on the bank are not regarded as being in active pensionable employment.


A bank member who works 9 am to 5 pm, Monday to Wednesday every week, will be covered for death in service from 9 am on Monday until 5 pm on the Wednesday only. Therefore, if they were to die after 5 pm on Wednesday and before they resumed work at 9 am on the following Monday they would not be entitled to death in service cover.


Further information

If your question has not been answered, please visit the NHS Pension website.

Alternatively you can contact your local Pensions Office by emailing the Kent and Medway NHS Pensions Team at